4th International Collaborative and Dialogical Symposium
May 3–5, 2018
Ostrava, Hlubina coal mine
The challenge is to embrace the tension produced when one holds one’s own position while simultaneously remaining curious about the position(s) of the other(s)
What may be seen as barriers to dialogue such as tension, non-clarity, ambiguity, incoherency, uncertainty and misunderstanding are necessary for dialogue to be creative and productive.
Download Abstract of Horizons 2018 in PDF format.
We live in a divided, ambiguous world. We try to figure out who are “we”, who are “they” and we are looking for what separates us, how different and better we are. We build our own community, yet at the same time that’s what sets us apart from others. A dialog outside of our social bubble often creates tension, which could be unpleasant or unbearable, so we rather stay “with ours”.
Tension is necessary though to reach understanding in a dialog. To create something new it’s necessary to discuss something strange, unknown and sometimes contrary to our position. The same tension that divides us can connect us then.
Horizons 2018 will look for connections in what’s disconnected, for what’s common in differences, for what holds together in a conflict. We will emphasize on subjects of mental health, racism/xenophobia, partners-family relationships and education. The symposium is for people interested in the aforementioned subjects, professionals or general public, specifically for facilitators, mediators, therapists, social workers, community workers, educators, activists and others.
The symposium is organized by Narativ Association in collaboration with:
- Taos Institute
- International Certificate in Collaborative-Dialogic Practices
- Ostrava university
- Plato Ostrava
The symposium is held under the auspices of the city of Ostrava.
Main guests (speakers)
University of New Hampshire, USA
Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Norway
Marion de Boer and Nadia van Ham
Barbora Chvátalová and Markéta Hovorková
Racism and xenophobia
Institute of Race Relations, UK
(Photo: Cinzia Dambrosi)
Lenka Šafránková Pavlíčková
Dialogue: Direct action
Workshop: direct action
Independent educational specialist, The Netherlands
Tereza Janačíková Nováková
Relationships in a Family
Andrea Blažková, Petr Válek
Parents for ever
Goldsmiths University of London, UK
- Borge Baklien – (dis)connectedness [pdf]
- Daniela Vrbová – Solution Journalism v české praxi [pptx]
- De Boer and Goutsmits – From FACT to POD [pdf, pptx]
- Jan Šerek – Škola základ občanského života? [pptx]
- Liz Fekete – (Dis)Connecting Tensions [docx]
- Liz Fekete – Institute of Race Relations [ppt]
- Loek Schoenmakers – Tension!? An opportunity [pptx]
- Ateliér dušetvorby Kvark [pdf]
- Ondřej Adamík – Muslimská komunita v ČR [pptx]
- Ottar Ness – Relational Recovery in Mental Health and Addiction [pdf]
- Sheila McNamee – Humanizing Tensions: Dialogic Possibilities [pptx]
- Michal Kandler – Svoboda učení [pdf]
- Šílíme anebo sílíme? – Petra Šubrtová (alias Jozefina) [pdf]
- Horizons 2018, first day (photos by Michal Jašek) [show]
- Horizons 2018, second day (photos by Michal Jašek) [show]
- Horizons 2018 (photos by Jan Fries) [show]
Download programme in PDF format.
Thursday 3th may 2018
Friday 4th may 2018
Saturday 5th may 2018
(the registration fee covers following: entry to all symposium sessions, evening banquet on Thursday, lunch on Friday and lunch on Saturday)
Early bird registration up to 9 February
Regular registration fees after 9 February
Registration fees for active participants (approved papers)
Registration fees for students (full time studies)
We offer discounts for three or more participants/employees from the same organisation (the forth registration is for free, 3+1). We offer discounts or free of charge participation to volunteers – please get in touch with our organisation team for that purpose. If you want to participate and can not afford to pay the registration fees for whatever reasons, please contact us as well and we will try to find a solution together.
Cancel & refund conditions
Cancellations are possible until April 30th, thereafter the registration fee cannot be refunded.